Careers at Guernsey Water
Asset ManagerClosing date: 02/01/2020
Guernsey Water is an asset orientated business. Its infrastructure is vital to the water and wastewater services we provide for our customers. Understanding the link between asset performance, corporate objectives and customer derived benefits is an essential part of being able to deliver value for money services.
The Asset Management Team is responsible for capturing and interpreting the condition and performance of Guernsey Waters infrastructure assets. This information is used to inform investment decisions, develop service initiatives and deliver asset refurbishment and replacement programmes on the basis of cost, risk and benefits.
The development and implementation of an up to date integrated asset management system is essential to achieve various outcomes of the Guernsey Water Business Plan through appropriate management of its infrastructure portfolio.
The Asset Manager is responsible for maximising the effectiveness and performance of our infrastructure; defining the investment and work required to deliver the service outputs including Capital and Revenue programmes of work within Guernsey Water.
The purpose of the Asset Management Department is to identify, quantify and monitor the delivery of the future asset investment requirements. This will take account of key factors including growth and connection requirements; condition and performance of the assets; legal obligations; economic regulation; current and emerging best practices.
The post holder will deputise for and be responsible to the Capital Delivery Manager and will work closely with Operations, Capital Delivery, Customer Services, Water Quality & Risk, Finance and external stakeholders in carrying out their duties.
The post holder will be responsible for the direct line management of at least 5 members of staff and provide overall leadership and management to the Asset Management Section of Guernsey Water.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, manage, update and monitor implementation of asset management policy, strategy, initiatives and work plans; ensuring alignment with the strategic priorities of our Business Plan.
- Oversee the development and ongoing updates of effective asset management plans for implementing Guernsey Water's asset management strategy and asset management objectives.
- Oversee the documentation and development of asset inventory (within ESRI & Agility) for each class of assets, asset condition, level of service & performance, risk, maintenance strategies, repair / replacement models, financial forecasts, tactical and work plans.
- Provide coordination of asset management plan outputs for Capital and Revenue interventions across all asset classes for incorporation within the overall investment portfolio.
- Support the development and implementation of portfolio prioritisation and planning to balance the overall Capital and Revenue investments in the medium term; considering affordability, risks, resources, performance etc. defined within the Asset Management System.
- Provide support to Operations and Capital budgeting / planning with analysis using Asset Management Plans and asset intelligence. Monitor the effectiveness of interventions and update plans as necessary. Ensure our maintenance management system (Agility) is integrated with our asset management system.
- Provide subject matter leadership, leading the development and evaluation of solutions, supporting the team in resolving strategic and technical issues, providing authoritative advice and guidance to internal stakeholders and representing the interests of Guernsey Water and asset management with external stakeholders.
- Develop, communicate and implement the asset management change programme throughout the business, including wider stakeholders. Regularly report status of work related to the asset management change programme, teams and initiatives.
- To oversee the development and integration of wastewater, potable and raw water hydraulic models; including the procurement of consultants, contract administration and coordination of ongoing modelling support and training.
- Implement appropriate project and programme management methodologies to ensure the effective planning and control of project activities, the identification and mitigation of risks and effective management of performance.
- Lead, motivate and develop the team to ensure that it is engaged with and capable of delivering both team and personal objectives.
- The post holder will also be expected to undertake ancillary and other duties when instructed by his/her line manager.
- 1. HNC / HND in Engineering or related qualification with substantial relevant post graduate experience.
- 2. Deep subject specific knowledge in Asset Management, preferably working within an engineering or building environment.
- 3. Proven experience of developing solutions and providing specialist advice at strategic and technical levels, including investment and planning, within an asset management environment.
- 4. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to lead, motivate and persuade a diverse range of people; including consultants, contractors, peers, the public and politicians.
- 5. Significant project and programme leadership experience, with a proven track record of delivering business improvement through collaboration and innovation across departments.
- 6. Ability to collaborate with others to set standards and implement appropriate best practice whilst dealing constructively with setbacks.
- 7. Excellent computer literacy skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and MS Project etc.)
- 8. Be accountable for the revenue budget for the asset management section, exercising financial governance, reporting and decision making.
- 9. Experience of successfully managing and developing a small team.
- 10. Holder of a valid driving licence.
- 11. A sound working knowledge of the water and wastewater industry.
- 12. A degree level qualification in a relevant engineering discipline.
- 13. Chartered Membership of a relevant professional institution.
- 14. Certificate or Diploma qualification from the Institute of Asset Management.
- 15. Practitioner skills in a recognised project management methodology (PRINCE2 etc.).
- 16. A good working knowledge of States of Guernsey Procurement Policies and Procedures.
- Regularly review procedures or systems with teams to identify improvements and simplify processes and decision making.
- Be prepared to take managed risks, ensuring these are planned and their impact assessed.
- Actively encourage ideas from a wide range of sources and stakeholders and use these to inform own thinking.
- Take opportunities to regularly communicate and interact with staff, helping to clarify goals and activities and the links between these and the States of Guernsey's strategy.
- Communicate in a succinct, engaging manner and stand ground when needed.
- Establish relationships with a range of stakeholders to support delivery of business outcomes.
- Encourage collaborative team working within own team and across the States of Guernsey.
- Identify and address team or individual capability requirements and gaps to deliver current and future work.
- Value and respond to different personal needs in the team using these to develop others and promote inclusiveness.
- Continually seek and act on feedback to evaluate and improve their own and team's performance.
- Make effective use of programme / project management skills and techniques to deliver outcomes, including identifying risks and mitigating actions.
- Develop, implement, maintain and review systems and service standards to provide quality, efficiency and value for money.
- Develop proposals to improve the quality of service with involvement from a diverse range of staff, stakeholders or delivery partners.
- Successfully manage, support and stretch self and team to deliver agreed goals and objectives. Plan ahead but reassess workloads and priorities if situations change or people are facing conflicting demands.
- Regularly monitor own and team's work against milestones or targets and act promptly to keep work on track and maintain performance.
- Carl Falla, Capital Delivery Manager - (01481) 234652 or Carl.Falla@gov.gg